Here is an author interview with Anna. I love the background that she gives us here. It makes the book and her reasons for writing it come alive. Enjoy!
1. If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
Health, Love and wisdom
2. Given unlimited resources, what would be your ideal writing environment?
A tower made of glass, including the roof, in the middle of the forest. A day bed (those like Cleopatra used.) A cozy blanket with a fantasy theme printed on it and lots of fruit.
3. Where do you actually write?
My office. It has a tall 6' by 10' glass window in one wall that looks at my neighbor's house. A big desk full of books, computer, papers and all kind of Cowboy stuff. (including John Wayne’s posters.)
4. How long does it normally take you to write a novel?
When I started twelve years ago or so, three months for the first draft. Now almost a year, sometimes less. Life keeps me busy.
5. What are your inspirations?
To be able to write non-stop again.
6. How did you come to write this particular book or series?
Different ideas and reasons. I love medieval romance and princesses. So it was natural to come up with A Royal Romance. The first book is Once Upon Two Kingdoms. This new book is Kingdom by the Sea.
Kingdom by the Sea was created the night after I saw the musical AIDA, I couldn't sleep because I was disappointed with the ending. (It's just me, the musical is great.) I spent the night thinking what I would have done different if it was my story and by morning Kingdom by the Sea had been born.
Aida has a ship's captain and he is the main protagonist. He is the princess' lover and he does fall in love with a slave girl.
Kingdom by the Sea has some of these elements but the story follows the princess and her awakening to a world she was part of but never knew. It turns out completely different from the musical Aida and that is what makes it awesome.
7. What was the hardest part of writing your book, and how did you overcome it?
I wanted to get my elf series out first (seven books) because the elf kin wouldn't let me sleep at night, so I had to wait eleven years to publish Kingdom by the Sea.
8. What is your writing drive? The power that keeps you going when your writing gets difficult?
Mostly the story plots per say and the character's insistence. Some characters are so persistent that you have to give in to them and write the book or await your doom.
1. . How did you come up with the title?
I was born in Chile, a country that is bathed by the sea from north to south. And we own an island "Easter Island" with natives that I use as the slaves in my book. Kingdom by the Sea has quite a few similarities to my country, so I make it the place for my story, though the story is totally fictitious. It also has Spanish names in it.
"Serena," the main character's name means "mermaid" in Spanish. Her kingdom is "Delmar" which mean "from the sea." "Miramar" the capital's name, means "look at the sea" or "lookout toward the sea." Both of these names are those of real cities in Valparaiso, Chile.
This story also mentions Serena's kingdom's great wine industry, a similarity to the real Chile which has the best wine and grape industry in South America.
2. Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family member?
LTUE, Life The Universe and Everything, a huge Writers Symposium in Provo, Utah. I have learned and developed lots of friendships during my many years as a student and panelist there.
3. If you could travel anywhere in the world for thirty days and just kick back and relax, where would you go, would you take anyone with you and why would you chose this vacation spot to go?
A cabin in the woods with a roaring fire, two recliners and my husband. We both love the quiet, inspiring forest, winter or summer. There is no place like nature to get my imagination and relaxation working double-time.
4. What is your favorite late night snack?
I try not to eat after 6 pm. But sometimes caramels or chocolate made it to my mouth after 9 pm.
5. Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
Better at my writing. Have some more awards. Published my Intergalactic Detective Series.
6. Tell us 5 random things about yourself.
I love red hair
I'm not fan of fake nails
I don't wear short anything, but hair
I like Christmas romance movies
I like to dress people. (plays, movies, live trailers, etc.)
7. What was the most surprising part of writing this book?
How vividly it brought back to me the smells, memories and sounds of the ocean. I didn't realize how greatly
This is a great read. Enjoy!!!
Buy the book:
Buy the book: