Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Measure of Success



My husband and I are serving an inner city service mission to disadvantaged youth in a large southern metropolis. Among other things, we work with kids to help them improve themselves and their circumstances.

As we get to know each person, individual characteristics and personality traits become apparent.

Some youth just seem to 'drift' along, unmotivated as to self improvement and uncaring about change. They appear to enjoy life as it is, living only for the moment. They:
1.                  Take pleasure in their surroundings.
2.                  Enjoy friendships of the moment.
3.                  Accept others just as they are.
4.                  Join in the pleasure of the minute.


Others are driven, grasping at any program or agenda that will help them change their circumstances. They want to improve themselves and their lives. They:
1.                  Look for ways to change their lives.
2.                  Know that education is the way out of the ghetto.
3.                  Encourage others to adopt their ideas.
4.                  Plan carefully to complete their goals.

As we counsel with these young people, it's difficult not to compare one group against the standards of the other group. But one way of life isn't 'wrong' and the other 'right.'

Let's look at our own lives. Are there positives we can adopt from each of these life styles? 

I want to take pleasure in my surroundings and enjoy friendships because I accept others just as they are. But I also want to improve myself, get as much education as I can, and complete the goals I have set for myself.

The price of success is hard work, and the determination . . . we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand. Vince Lombardi

Each of us has a unique set of personality traits. We can choose to stay the way we are or set goals to change our circumstances. 

Which way do you work?
Make a conscious choice to become the best you can be—to find your own success, whatever that means to you.

1 comment:

  1. This was a really insightful post. I can tell that you are doing great works on this kind of mission. Serving as an Inner City Missionary is hard work; but also wonderful. Most of those we worked with had no idea how to change. They had a lot of generational, mental health issues and etc. Helping them see a better life and helping them desire it was a challenge.
    I loved your thoughts because I can tell you are going to have a huge impact on many.
    Blessings and prayers for you both.

    ReplyDelete