Sunday, October 4, 2015

Family Council Meetings Can Enhance a Child's Self Esteem



Family Councils are a good way to let children know they are important. Start when they are young.

1.                  Include them in decisions
2.                  Listen to their opinions
3.                  Ask for their suggestions


These meetings are a pivotal place to create and fulfill goals. However, sometimes it's necessary to have a meeting to plan the family council so that you are helping each of your children become the best they can be.

Mom and Dad sat in the porch swing.
Mom shifted in her seat. “Samantha (age 6) has had several temper tantrums this week.”
Dad looked down at her. “I hadn’t noticed. But now that you mention it, you’re right.”
“Sometimes I see her as caught right in the middle of the kids—an older sister who is the star of everything and a baby sister that everyone adores.”
Dad chuckled, “What’s not to love about that little curly blond bundle of energy.”
“I just think Samantha needs a self-esteem boost.” Mom sighed. “I’ve been thinking it’s her turn to conduct family council this week. Maybe we could surprise her with a spot light night. A ‘Who Am I’ poster like we made for school last year.”
“Great,” said Dad.
 “I’ll have Mia (age 10) make up a little song for her. Alexis (age 4) can help me make her favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.”
“This is all well and good,” said Dad, “but one night isn’t going to fix everything.”
“We haven’t done parent date nights for a while,” said Mom. “I’ll take her to swing at the park. She loves that.”

“Great idea,” said Dad, “and I’m glad we’ve had this conversation. I'll take her on a bike ride a couple of nights a week myself.”
Mom glanced up at him. “I get what you’re saying. The spot light and date night are good, but it’s the little things we do daily that will make a difference.” She sighed. “Maybe I can spend a little more time with her each evening before bed.”
“I call this a great planning meeting,” said Dad. “Let’s do this more often.”

The parents:
1.                  Identified the problem behavior. (Temper tantrums)
2.                  Assessed the unmet need. (Lack of attention and love)
3.                  Set a plan in motion for family council. (Spot light night)
4.                  Planned special activities with the child. (Date night)
5.                  Set aside daily time to spend with their daughter. (Riding bikes and time in the evening)

Learn how to establish your own family councils, set goals, and open the communication with your children. Read more stories like this one in Family Talk by Christy Monson, available in paperback and e readers.









2 comments:

  1. I so loved all your ideas and your book was the best. I do hope that many will see this and find out how it works so that family communications can improve. You are awesome
    Hugs for you dear friend~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wish I would have had your book while raising children. I love this one and will share it with my own children. Thanks for these post; I love them. Hugs for you dear friend. Blessings~

    ReplyDelete